2012-2013 offseason.
  • Well the off season has begun. What offseason moves would you like to see? Who stays, who goes, and what do you think is important?
    For me:

1) Flaco needs to be shown the door. He is paid far too much for the effort he seems to put in. And unlike all our other transactions this year he doesn't seem to care about being part of this club. He got his pay day, thanks for nothing really.

2) Extend Arne's contract another year. Period. He's got another in him and it needs to be with us. I also would love to see an offer extended to him in an off the field role after that. he's an absolute world class player that needs to stay involved in our organization, he's a great rolemodel for the young players.

3) Start preparing a young left back. Lets be real, Sega isent getting any younger and it's time to start preparing.

4) Anoter forward option? I really do like macdonald and Oduro. I want them both to stay... But we need a heavy hitter up top. The question is how to keep everyone happy and keep them all?

• Totally agree with all of your points here.  Will be exciting to see what moves are (hopefully) made in the coming months...
  • Arne should be with the club another year. MacDonald needs to go. He is the highest paid and he doesn't perform to standard. He has no pep in his step and he does not move to get the ball. He waits in front of the goal for the ball to come to him and he can shoot for glory. He needs to move on. Oduro has a lot of heart and we should keep him. He is quick, aggressive, and good for the teams form. He keeps the defense spread with his speed. He needs some dribbling skills, hopefully an off season training issue. Hopefully Rolfe will stay another year. I don't know why he would though. He has to be frustrated with his teammates efforts. I think Anibaba is not as bad as the fans make him out to be. He keeps the opposition spread and comes up well on the side as an impromptu winger. He does not mark on defense as well as I would hope, but he gets an undeserved bad rep. We need a younger replacement for Pardo...he is great, but his age has taken his pace. He would be a great assistant coach. 
  • I don't think Rolfe is frustrated with anyone's efforts, I personally think this whole team with the exception of 1 or maybe 2 players really gave it there all. I don't see Rolfe going anywhere which is why I didn't mention him.
  • D-Mid. Our biggest problem is that we need two of them. Free up some space in the middle and we're in great shape.

I still say if Robayo had been the player we hoped, our team would have been dominant.
  • Totally agree with you on Friedrich. He needs to be here next year and hopefully beyond that.
  • Would have liked to see more of Dom and Sherjill on the field together.  Single striker doesn't seem to work for us as teams just key on the one striker and we can't do a thing in the final third.  Flaco needs to go.  What are the odds of Grazzinin being back next season?  Would like to see Arne and Alex stay.
  • "But we need a heavy hitter up top.  The question is how to keep everyone happy and keep them all."

Flaco out; (and the ongoing issue for loads of teams) a real No.10 in.  Have (mostly) the guys we have, but employ different line-ups of them.  Keep them fresh and, more importantly keep opposition from being able to fixate on "a" way to shut us down.  See: Oduro kicking ass, until D's figured out that with a weeks prep they could shut him down, followed by Rolfe's kicking ass until D's figured that they with a week to prep they could be ready to shut him down. 

• I like that idea. We have weapons, we just spend too long relying on one. Oduro is a fricken wild card, and slow D's should shit themselves when they see him in the starting XI on a random weekend. We need to mix it all up. We can score from anywhere and if we keep the opposition guessing as to who is going to be on the field then they cant prepare.

A kick ass no.10 would do wonders.
  • 2013 Lineup

Rolfe                MacDonald
                           Alex
    Nyarko           Pause            Fernandez
    Anibaba     Freidrich    Berry       Gargan
                          Tornaghi

LB Can be Anibaba? Sega? Draftee? 

RB can be Gargan? Anibaba? Draftee?

Don't forget we get Kinney and Gibbs back....

this is with baseless assumptions that we lose Sean John to Europe, that Pardo Retires, that we drop bone, keep fernandez, and not predicting future draftees and acquisitions.

i dont think we just drop fernandez .. he's been fairly productive in MLS over the years. his bitch ass just needs to wake up and play to his salary.

I swore i saw someone mention this here already - Rolfe is not a midfielder. he is a striker.

Unless we're going to play a 4-3-3 (which i like) We can only have 2 of MacDonald/Oduro/Rolfe; and honestly, i like MacDonald the best.

• Unless things turn around 180 in the next few weeks both Arnie and Corey are gone.

• Unless things turn around 180 in the next few weeks both Arnie and Corey are gone.

say what????

I know you didn't hear that from Arne, or anyone Arne talked to, since Arne's not talking to ANYONE about his decision. So if it's speculation, say so. If it's concrete, source it, please.

sounds like some potential bad stuff behind the scenes.

I don't like the idea of 2 steps forward, one step back. dammit.
    otherwise we're going to be like that northside stick ball team.  No es bueno. No.
  • Unless there's a serious change in status my understanding is Arne's gone. :(

I'm really hoping there's a serious change of heart.
  • Dangergomez and Bunge, Sources please? Magic 8 Ball? Inside source? Otherwise, like all of us, you're only listening to partial conversations about more complicated discussions.
  • hate to bring this up, but is this another case of "family issues"?
  • Sourced information: When I spoke to his best friend on the team after Houston, he said Arne is talking to NO ONE about his decision (not even said best friend on the team), and that nothing had been decided. The same night Arne said to the media that if he plays another season, it's going to be in Chicago.
  • Fire making an announcement today at 9am.
  • Eins, Zwei, Drei.....SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!

B-)
  • bunge said:

Unless there's a serious change in status my understanding is Arne's gone. :(

Unless things turn around 180 in the next few weeks both Arnie and Corey are gone.

I'm not sure who you guys' source(s) were, but looks like they just pulled off that 180.
  • tonyni said:

bunge said:

Unless there's a serious change in status my understanding is Arne's gone. :(

Unless things turn around 180 in the next few weeks both Arnie and Corey are gone.

I'm not sure who you guys' source(s) were, but looks like they just pulled off that 180.

they could have just been messing with our heads.
  • No, I wasn't messing with people and yes, it was a 180. Arne hinted at it when he said one more year in Chicago or retirement. That wasn't his stance previously.
  • As Krause said, Arne said what he said on the entire topic last Wed night. There was no 180.

• unlimited trips to Kumas will do that.
  • I know more than you do. I have some inside source. I told you so, no you didn't. Who gives a shit? Bottom line, this is a solid necessary move. Let's enjoy it.
  • As Krause said, Arne said what he said on the entire topic last Wed night. There was no 180.

What the fuck does that have to do with a 180 or not? You get all hot and bothered when someone doesn't name a source. It might be kinda cute if it didn't come across as simply being shitty on the interwebs.

My "source" sure as shit knew more about this than anyone else and this was a months long discussion that yes, ended with a 180, thank the soccer gods. It was worrisome enough that it put a damper on the last two months of the season for me and that's why I posted about it.

Again, thank the soccer gods there was a 180.
  • For me, I was worried about Arne not coming back in May or so.  Like most of the folks here, I was aware he came on a one-year deal. After his previously troublesome back had been tested in competitive play, I was hoping that the Club and he would make it happen for 2013.

Very glad it worked out.
  • bkfiv said:

I know more than you do. I have some inside source. I told you so, no you didn't. Who gives a shit? Bottom line, this is a solid necessary move. Let's enjoy it.

Agreed... this inside source nonsense smacks of elitism.
  • fesmith_4 said:

Arne: I'd like to introduce you to a friend of ours that has gone missing and we'd like to see again:  

We take bringing him back home very seriously.  

#winthecup

• MDSCIan said:

bkfiv said:

I know more than you do. I have some inside source. I told you so, no you didn't. Who gives a shit? Bottom line, this is a solid necessary move. Let's enjoy it.

Agreed... this inside source nonsense smacks of elitism.

And the bitching about it can sound like jealous crybabies. Elitism? Give me a break. I don't have "sources", I simply ask questions. Sometimes the answers are given in confidence. We're all smart enough to understand that concept, although some apparently pretend to be ignorant of it.  :-B

If all someone wants to believe is a Fire press release then they should only listen to the information they get from Fire press releases. Me? We'd still think Mike Jeffries worked for the Fire if all we listed to was press releases...because they never announced his departure.

Andrew Hauptman walks around the tailgate every other game. Anyone can ask him a questions if they wish to.
  • I wish we had a "LIKE" button....

ricecake said:

fesmith_4 said:

Arne: I'd like to introduce you to a friend of ours that has gone missing and we'd like to see again:  

We take bringing him back home very seriously.  

#winthecup

• so its ok for you to accuse elitism, but you cant take it? hilarious

bkfiv, are you going to let him call you a crybaby? 
  • The off season has begun.
  • so ben, is your source Andew Hauptman?

just askin'.

bunge said:

MDSCIan said:

Andrew Hauptman walks around the tailgate every other game. Anyone can ask him a questions if they wish to.

• I never talked to Andrew about Arne, if that's what you're asking.
  • Yes, that's what I was asking.
  • I for one was completely disgusted by the display of middle aged man public nudity the last game. This is something we really need to keep an eye on in the future and bring it to the ISAs attention if we catch these mongrels displaying their flesh for the world to see. I was really appalled. Flares? Big flags? Capo stand? BFD. Pasty skin and man boobs are definitely a growing trend in the section, and we need to get a handle on them before it gets out of control. 
  • Maddog,

Man boobs have nothing to do with the color of my orange juice (which is yellow by the way). 

Arne is staying! Praise be to the soccer gods! End of story. Everything else is just gossip now.
  • Crybaby, ha!  I don't have the time, internet write-talking proficiency or desire to bother.  I just heard that the Fire re-signed Arne that morning on ESPN Radio (Awesome!).  So I checked to hear what everyone here thought and all I found was who exactly knew what first.  I thought everyone would be happier about it, that's all.  I am.
  • Im loving the fact that Fire get coverage during the off season. I know it's just radio, but I get excited.

That made my day
  • good to hear he's open to stayin through next year, I wonder what made him change his mind so fast.
  • "I wonder what made him change his mind so fast."

file://localhost/Users/student/Desktop/photo-full.jpgfile://localhost/Users/student/Desktop/images-3.jpgfile://localhost/Users/student/Desktop/C7f8Bo_Nr4zXGOx6n22aZp-7nmGu160nBRw28o0ZA17ZScaaEwczxMJS9BcK_4NByW3c_g=s97.jpgfile://localhost/Users/student/Desktop/images-1.jpgfile://localhost/Users/student/Desktop/images-2.jpgfile://localhost/Users/student/Desktop/images.jpg

• I had a feeling something like this would come up. I personally feel that Dom may end up leaving in the off season. There were plenty of instances where Dom, either starting or coming in off the bench, wasn't performing at the level he is capable of. For me, I think he's a bit too light on his feet. Plays where he was being out muscled on the ball and gave up on the play to look for the foul were entirely too numerous. He's fast and has great skill, but if he has to get through a charging defender, chances are the attack will be stalled.

That's why I think Mackie was such a huge hit with us. He's a big forward that fights for possession. It's no accident that he was able to come up with 4 goals and another 4 assists in the 12 games he started. If Serjill makes his stay with the Fire more permenant, there may not be a need for Dom's services.

We could also use Dom's speed on the wings. Him opposite Nyarko would would make our wing play and services in a hard thing to defend against.
  • Seems like it's a pretty self-explanatory progression of events, should be clear to Dom that he's experiencing the same progression that got him a starter's position in the first place.

Chaves starts 2011 on a hot streak, goes cold, Dom takes starting position, scores goals, keeps going.
    Dom starts 2012, scores a few goals, goes cold, MacDonald takes starting position, scores (and creates) goals, keeps going.

Dom should work hard and get that job back. Additionally, I think Frank should try playing him a little more if the Rolfe/MacDonald partnership is having trouble.
  • *insert "hot insider tip" from Josue here* :D

Honestly though, Dom voicing his frustration publicly is usually step one out the door. And I think it's safe to say Frank is going to go in a different direction.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!