S8C ISA Board Election 2013
  • This thread launches the S8C ISA Board Election Cycle for 2013.  The Board has the following positions, as defined in the ISA By-Laws:

Chairperson: Coordinates all Section 8 Chicago activities, presides over all board meetings, provides general guidance, secondary signer of financial disbursements (in addition to finance/ treasurer), primary contact with external organizations (e.g. Fire, Bridgeview council, etc.).

Vice-Chairperson/Secretary: Assists Chairperson in coordinating all ISA activities, fills in for chair when needed (board or external meetings), coordinates communication between board members (distributes agenda, sets meeting times, etc.),ay sign in place of Chair on disbursements, responsible for minutes of meetings, keeps record of all votes.

Director of Communications: Maintains supporter registration and email database; responsible for production of newsletter, communication with supporters groups and independent supporters, providing press releases and any other public relations; supervises assistant director and webmaster; coordinates with the Front Office to arrange proper game-day credentials for media working on behalf of ISA – writers and photographers.

Director of Events: Coordinates/oversees all external activities, including but not limited to, travel and ticketing for away games, volunteers, and other social activities.  The Director of Events is also required to liaise with opposition teams' Front Office representatives, opposition supporters' groups representatives, League officials, as well as local law enforcement (at home or away) as deemed necessary on a game by game basis.

Director of Finances: Responsible for recommending financial policies and procedures which further the Corporation's goal of supporting the Chicago Fire Soccer Club;  responsible for providing recommendations that promote and maintain the fiscal stability of the Corporation; coordinates with other directors in support of their activities and developing their annual budgets; responsible for tracking/recording all cash receipts and disbursements as well as other financial records; responsible for annually developing overall budget by the second Monday of January; responsible for providing oversight on charitable fundraising activities; provides monthly income/expense reports to Board of Directors by the fifteenth (15) day of the following month; provides to the public a quarterly accounts balance sheet by the fifteenth (15) day of April, July, and October.

Director of Operations: The Director of Operations is primarily tasked with game-day operations both in and out of the stadium. These duties include supervising the tailgate, match set-up crew and coordinating with various groups on game-day needs for all Fire games.  Aside from game-day duties, the Director of Operations is also obligated to meet with the Fire front office at various points (typically monthly, minimally quarterly) to review any issues or complaints related to game-day operations.

Director of Marketing: Develops a comprehensive annual plan to effectively market to existing and new supporters of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club.  The primary objective of the plan will be to assist the ISA in reaching its annual goals for support and growth of the fanbase.  Such plan and associated elements shall include, but not be limited to, digital media, print media and effective methods to reach out to existing and potential supporters.

Director of Merchandise: Supervises coordination of design, production and sale of merchandise.

• The key dates for the election cycle are:

Monday Dec 10: Opening of Nominations - Any Fire Supporter who wishes to stand for a 2013 ISA Board position MUST email the Vice-Chair by Thursday Dec 27, 1159pm. Email is jeff@section8chicago.com

Note: Though there is no formal requirement to do so, it is recommended to announce one's candidacy on this forum so that members of community can know in advance that you are running and facilitate discussions about the Board positions and individual candidacies.

Monday Dec 10: Requests for Absentee Ballots - Any Fire Supporter who wishes to vote for the 2013 ISA Board with an absentee ballot must request one MUST email the Vice-Chair by Thursday Dec 27, 1159pm. Email is jeff@section8chicago.com

Thursday Dec 27, 1159pm: Closing of Nominations and Requests for Absentee Ballots.

Monday Dec 31, 1159pm: Finalization of Candidates List and Distribution of Absentee Ballots - The final candidates list will be posted on the ISA website and on this forum. The Vice-Chair will email absentee ballots (with instructions on how to return one's ballot) to those Fire Supporters who made a timely request.

Saturday Jan 26, 1pm: 2013 ISA Annual General Meeting, Location TBD - All Fire fans in attendance will have the opportunity to vote. Absentee ballots will be tallied and included in the final count.
  • The following Fire supporters have announced their candidacy either at the December Board Meeting or via email to the Vice-Chair. For ease of identification, the list states the candidate’s name, forum name, and affiliation.  I will update this when I receive additional nomination emails.

Chair: none at this time

Vice-Chair: Jeffrey Marinacci */ jjmarinacci / Independent

Communications: Nick Fedora / unknown / Whiskey Brothers ‘05

Events: Annie West /unknown/ Independent

Finance: Josue Gomez ** / dangergomez / Westmont Ultras

Operations: Eric Kekeis/ pezkoreaddict / URS

Marketing: Frank Cardenas / WB05ElGuapo / Whiskey Brothers ‘05

Merchandise: Freddy Coba / Freddy_Coba / URS

* - Incumbent    ** - Current Board Member, new position

• I would like to nominate Joel Biden for Chairman.  I have to say under his dedication and vision the section has grown. I have watched him take strong stands that have moved our section forward.  I have seen him work with the board to pull of huge events, ie see the Anniversary Gala.  I have also seen communication with the FO and Monterray improve, taking a stand when needed, but remaining an adult.  I can say and I may be corrected, the numbers of fans being arrested in the section by the bulls, has been nil.  That is quite the improvement. As a member of section 8 I would like to see the section continue to move forward. If you feel the same way Than Biden in 2013 is the only way you can vote.

I would also like to nominate Mario Ortega for Director of Finance.  I would like to Testify for Brother Mario having seen him in action for years.  We need a D.O.F. who is a man of integrity, beyond reproach, whose honesty can never be questioned. He has also overseen the growth of the Section as the man who controls the funds, which have made road trips, tifo, tailgates, and the anniversary gala possible.  Mario has been a steady hand at the wheel, as the section has grown from a fan club to a supporter group.  Mario is a man of stature who if he accepts the nomination, I know the section will continue to thrive...

• Good luck everyone. Serving on the board is a great way to give back to the Fire community, and help shape it the way you envisage it to be.
  • BUMP...

If you are interested in running for the 2013 ISA Board, please keep in mind that you must email me at jeff@section8chicago.com by Thursday Dec 27, 1159pm to be on the ballot.

The following Fire supporters have announced their candidacy either at the December Board Meeting or via email to the Vice-Chair.
    For ease of identification, the list states the candidate’s name, forum name, and affiliation.

Events: Annie West /unknown/ Independent

Finance: Josue Gomez ** / dangergomez / Westmont Ultras

Operations: Eric Kekeis/ pezkoreaddict / URS

• Good luck everyone. Serving on the board is a great way to give back to the Fire community, and help shape it the way you envisage it to be.

I second the former Chair's comment.
  • I think it's also important to announce what current directors will be stepping down. I'll start.

I am stepping down from my spot as Director of Communications. It's been fun, educational, trying at times, but an amazing experience overall. Thanks to everyone who has supported my efforts and extra special thanks and respect to all the other directors I've served with in the past 3 years.
  • Congrats dpm, and many many thanks.
  • That said, I, too am stepping down.  I love being right at the heart of things, but with a 5 month old, I'm spread a bit thin; however, having seen how things operate from the inside, I've learned a helluvalota stuff, which translates into me being more effective at what I end up doing within our community.  Win-win-win all around.

(And I still will be involved with operations in some capacity, just not as a Board member.)
  • eltiger11 said:

I would like to nominate Joel Biden for Chairman.  I have to say under his dedication and vision the section has grown. I have watched him take strong stands that have moved our section forward.  I have seen him work with the board to pull of huge events, ie see the Anniversary Gala.  I have also seen communication with the FO and Monterray improve, taking a stand when needed, but remaining an adult.  I can say and I may be corrected, the numbers of fans being arrested in the section by the bulls, has been nil.  That is quite the improvement. As a member of section 8 I would like to see the section continue to move forward. If you feel the same way Than Biden in 2013 is the only way you can vote.

I would also like to nominate Mario Ortega for Director of Finance.  I would like to Testify for Brother Mario having seen him in action for years.  We need a D.O.F. who is a man of integrity, beyond reproach, whose honesty can never be questioned. He has also overseen the growth of the Section as the man who controls the funds, which have made road trips, tifo, tailgates, and the anniversary gala possible.  Mario has been a steady hand at the wheel, as the section has grown from a fan club to a supporter group.  Mario is a man of stature who if he accepts the nomination, I know the section will continue to thrive...

This. I say with gusto - i have faith in these 2.
  • Thanks ricecake and dpm for all your efforts - enjoy pitching in AND relaxing next season!
  • BUMP....Deadline for both:
    • running for the 2013 ISA Board, and
    • requesting an absentee ballot

is next Thursday, Dec 27 at 1159pm.  You must email me at jeff@section8chicago.com to state that you are running for a Board position or would like an absentee ballot.

• BUMP & UPDATE...

If you are interested in running for the 2013 ISA Board, please keep in mind that you must email me at jeff@section8chicago.com by Thursday Dec 27, 1159pm to be on the ballot.

The following Fire supporters have announced their candidacy either at the December Board Meeting or via email to the Vice-Chair.
    For ease of identification, the list states the candidate’s name, forum name, and affiliation.

Events: Annie West /unknown / Independent

Finance: 1) Merrie Bunt / unknown / URS 2) Josue Gomez ** / dangergomez / Westmont Ultras

Operations: Eric Kekeis / pezkoreaddict / URS

• Procedural question - what happens if all 3 URS candidates are elected? 
  • Is Westmont Ultras a supporters group?
  • BUMP....Deadline for requesting an absentee ballot is tomorrow Thursday, Dec 27 at 1159pm.

There is at least one competitive race (Finance) and possibly a second.  Therefore, each of our votes will matter in determining who serves on the board in 2013.

To receive an absentee ballot, simply email me at jeff@section8chicago.com asking for one.  I will email you the ballots by New Year's Day.

• Is Westmont Ultras a "real" supporters group?
  • Procedural question - what happens if all 3 URS candidates are elected? 

Good question Tom.  I will check in with the rest of the Board.
  • I am also not seeking re-election. I feel that I cannot dedicate the time that the position of director of merchandise deserves. Family is and always will be number one in my life. Good luck to Freddie and anyone else who may run for the position.

I, Marty Groark would like to declare my name as candidate for Director of Marketing in 2013. 

As many of you know, I was the director of marketing for 2012. I had a great time and learned a great deal but it wasnt quite on the level I was really hoping to reach. We did have some great success opening our social media exposure and building a strong, s8 news driven email list. Facebook fans increased by 16% and twitter fans by 23% and our email list has returned a great response and reception. With a little more tweaking and a great team behind me I am positive the 2013 season can be a success. In 2012 we did not to use any of our marketing budget, however our section still grew and our message was heard by even more soccer fans in Chicago & elsewhere. In 2013 I plan to use both our budget and our resources to concrete an even stronger supporters group and to continue to build on the relationship between Section 8 Chicago and the Chicago Fire Soccer Club.

Previously to this last year it had been a few years between marketing directors, and henceforth little data, strategies, or notes were left behind. in 2012 I collected data on ticket sales, merch sales, click throughs, opens, shares, etc and I can now use all of that to make a strong concerted effort towards driving this supporters group forward. I have a long background in marketing and as a content creator and I am positive that I am again the perfect candidate for this position. i also have a background in graphic design which helps immensely in this position because it allows me to rely only on myself when graphics & posters are needed to be made for events. 

Goals I have for the upcoming season are to create better parties, which I feel will market themselves. Also I promise to get more marketing schwag and help work with and organize/plan with communications & merch better since I feel the 3 of us are a "trident" of sorts. I really hope to show just what goes on with Section8 on non-match days. We are a large community with ties to many other NFP organizations in the Chicago area, as well as access to soccer fields and tifo builds and I want to teach the people in Toyota Park that we may be "crazy" during gameday, but Section 8 Chicago is a legitimate, volunteer organization with a great fan base and a strong future. 

The director of Marketing position is a tricky one, with a limited budget and past disorganization it was difficult to find a vision. I promise the Section 8 Chicago community that I am fully committed to pushing us closer to being the top supporters group in MLS. 

• BUMP & UPDATE... Finance and Marketing each have TWO candidates

If you are interested in running for the 2013 ISA Board, please keep in mind that you must email me at jeff@section8chicago.com by 1159pm tonight to be on the ballot.

Events: Annie West / unknown / Independent

Finance: 1) Merrie Bunt / unknown / URS   2) Josue Gomez ** / dangergomez / Westmont Ultras

Marketing: 1) Frank Cardenas / WB05ElGuapo / Whiskey Brothers ‘05   2) Marty Groark * / BDFC / Independent

• BUMP & UPDATE... ....Deadline for requesting an absentee ballot is tonight at 1159pm.

There are TWO competitive races - Finance and Marketing.

Each one of our votes will matter in determining who serves on the board in 2013.  If you cannot make the ISA AGM on January 26, simply email me at jeff@section8chicago.com and ask for an absentee ballot.  I will email you the ballots by New Year's Day.

• Hi. I'm Merrie and I'm running for Director of Finance.  

Since I became a regular in 2009, I would characterise my involvement as that of a lurker. I've kept up with the boards but have rarely jumped into the conversation. I go to the games and have been willing to help out whenever I'm asked. I got a bit more involved in 2012 by frequently captaining the E&C Beer Bus and lending my lungs to the Horn Line. Now the time feels right to step up on my own and be a Supporter (capital S) of the Fire by lending more of my time and experience to the ISA and this club. 

My Qualifications
    - Accounts Receivable (I bring in the cash) for a non-profit organization with a $7M annual operating budget (so I can balance a check book, budget and general ledger)
    - I set up and maintain our online donation software

- I have numerous contacts in the Chicago non-profit/charitable community

- My undergraduate degree is public relations: if elected, a top priority would be promoting donations to Section 8 and in communicating the overall financial position of s8c

Thanks for your support.
  • Merrie: you have a good background, but I have one question for you. If you become Director of Finance, will you promise to NEVER use Comic Sans again? It's unprofessional. Worst. Font. Ever. Thank you.

• diana said:

Merrie: you have a good background, but I have one question for you. If you become Director of Finance, will you promise to NEVER use Comic Sans again? It's unprofessional. Worst. Font. Ever. Thank you.

diana, yes, I promise. I prefer Papyrus.

• diana said:

Merrie: you have a good background, but I have one question for you. If you become Director of Finance, will you promise to NEVER use Comic Sans again? It's unprofessional. Worst. Font. Ever. Thank you.

diana, yes, I promise. I prefer Papyrus.

Thanks!
    :-)
  • What happens if no one goes for Chairman?
  • Joel is going to submit his bid for chairman at the last minute. Not sure why he likes to do this, maybe he just wants to get more people involved/running.
  • BUMP & UPDATE... Chair has a candidate; Finance and Marketing each have TWO candidates

If you are interested in running for the 2013 ISA Board, please keep in mind that you must email me at jeff@section8chicago.com by 1159pm tonight to be on the ballot.

Chair: Joel Biden * / Es_Brennt / Independent

Events: Annie West / unknown / Independent

Finance: 1) Merrie Bunt / merrieishere / URS   2) Josue Gomez ** / dangergomez / Westmont Ultras

Marketing: 1) Frank Cardenas / WB05ElGuapo / Whiskey Brothers ‘05   2) Marty Groark * / BDFC / Independent

• independent ...

:-)) 8-|
  • Yeah, y'all should ask him about that. :-O  ;)
  • Respect to all candidates and congratulations to all board members who are stepping down.  I myself promise to be even more involved in the organization than this year.  Everybody should know that I am always available to help so please feel free to contact me any time.

I would, therefore, like to nominate myself for Director at Large (to clarify, this is not a board position).

• Sign me up. This Chairman business sounds like fun.

I make it in J? 
    :!!
  • I think the Independents soccer club is missing a high profile player. Mr. Biden would be more than welcome to make an appearance for our squad.
  • Es_Brennt said:

Sign me up. This Chairman business sounds like fun.

I make it in J? 

The Chairman that works.
  • bunge said:

Es_Brennt said:

Sign me up. This Chairman business sounds like fun.

I make it in J? 

The Chairman that works.

and works and works and works and... etc
  • Wow, what great looking board possibilities! Excited for the 26th. Good Luck to Guapo and the race for Finance! 
  • IDK! the board only has time stamps on Quotes for some reason and I fell asleep before midnight!
  • What happens if all 3 URS members are elected?

Are we going to change the rules at the annual meeting to allow this? Is it as simple as a rule change with 2/3rds majority? If that vote isn't successful, then what is the plan? 

• Thunderdome rules.
  • Ha-ha! Seriously though, I assume the current board has a plan to allow for this? What is it?
  • Joel wasn't kidding. There will be straws drawn for who gets the poleaxe, chainsaw, rapier, and nerf bazooka.

In the event of a tie, face the wheel.
  • NOT THE WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Don't worry- J wasn't at the December Board meeting, so he didn't hear about that.
  • I guess I'll have to drop out then?
  • Pez I really hope that is not the case.

Few people are as qualified as you are for that position. I'm sure we can figure something out as a group.

Few people are as qualified as you are for that position. I'm sure we can figure something out as a group.

This!

This!

That!

• bunge said:

Es_Brennt said:

The Chairman that works.

Not sure if that would be best used as a slogan or a disclaimer. 
    :-??
  • MDSCIan said:

independent ...

:-)) 8-|

He'll come out of the closet one of these days...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!