S8C ISA Board Election 2014 :: Chair Q&A
  • I just saw Krause's Qs to Chow and me and thought that a separate thread for Q&A for this position would be helpful.

Will do same for the Vice Chair and any other contested position.

Jeff - please C&P your Qs here, OK?

• A few questions for the Chair position, if you guys don't mind.

CHOW: The last time you were on the board, it was as Director of Merch. What specific leadership skills do you possess that will make you a worthy candidate to lead the Section as Chair? While there's still plenty of time before the AGM, we've yet to hear from you as far as specific ideas you have or direction you have in mind for leading the Section, aside from #ChowforChair on Twitter. In short, what are you bringing to the table?

JEFF: You've served as Vice Chair, and you're someone who is in the public eye quite a bit through your position over the last year on gameday, at events, and online. If elected as Chair, what leadership qualities will you bring, and what will you do in the coming year to help unify the Section?

Thanks guys.
  • Is there an echo in here?
  • What is the point of starting a new thread without first answering the question that was posed in the original thread?
  • These questions go towards both candidates...

What were the strengths of Section 8 Chicago this past year?

What weaknesses do you see have the opportunity to be addressed with positive outcomes?

example...

How do you keep supporters from being burnt out?  I'm talking about the 10 or so who show up for tifo events, board meetings, charity events...etc...etc...

Thank you and good luck
  • DFBJeff said:

A few questions for the Chair position, if you guys don't mind.

CHOW: The last time you were on the board, it was as Director of Merch. What specific leadership skills do you possess that will make you a worthy candidate to lead the Section as Chair? While there's still plenty of time before the AGM, we've yet to hear from you as far as specific ideas you have or direction you have in mind for leading the Section, aside from #ChowforChair on Twitter. In short, what are you bringing to the table? 

I think my leadership skills are based on encouragement and letting people thrive. I feel I could help lead people to do great things like I learned from Ben, Tom and even Joel who was vice during my time on the board. I learned a lot from those guys, they pushed me to do my best and encouraged me to do my best. And that's exactly what I did and I plan on doing if elected. One of my main points is to be there for the other board members and help them as much as I can and lead them do the best they can. I feel the role of the chair is to facilitate how the board works together and I believe I'm more than capable. 
  • bunge said:

Is there an echo in here?

I don't think there is?
  • dpm said:

What is the point of starting a new thread without first answering the question that was posed in the original thread?

I think Jeff's idea was to keep that thread specific to those who are announcing their candidacy? 
  • These questions go towards both candidates...

What were the strengths of Section 8 Chicago this past year?

What weaknesses do you see have the opportunity to be addressed with positive outcomes?

example...

How do you keep supporters from being burnt out?  I'm talking about the 10 or so who show up for tifo events, board meetings, charity events...etc...etc...

Thank you and good luck

One of the main strengths I've seen from the board is to keep growing our relationship with the front office, which I believe is the strongest it's ever been.

As far as weaknesses, I think the section hasn't grown. We've regressed and there are ways to bring us back and above were we've ever been. I think expanding our events above and beyond what we've been doing is key, we have to get our name out there to those that may not know who we are and what we do. Expanding to other bars in the city and suburbs is key. I want to have watch parties at different bars every away match, sometimes even more than one watch party at a time. We have to try and expand into the burbs as well. There's people out there we just have to reach them. We also have to have different charity events outside of what we normally do, I think having hands on charity would help alot. Weather it's going out in the community coaching kids or volunteering at hospitals, I think the team would be more than willing to work with us on these events as well. 

Board meetings are huge issue, the last board meeting only had THREE people attend. I think we need to make these more accessible to the working folks and hold them on the weekends. Once again maybe switching up locations unless we find something that really works for us. 

I want Section 8 to be FUN. After all this shouldn't feel like work. I think the more cool events we have the more people will get involved. This includes bringing back merch design contests, tifo contests and anything else we can do to get people participating. I think social media has been underwhelming and can be a huge benefit in these types of events. 
  • I've also began an AMA for those interested on Reddit and have answered a few questions. Located here: http://www.reddit.com/r/chicagofire/comments/1tce97/my_name_is_peter_bychowski_chow_and_i_am_running/

Thanks all keep the questions coming!
  • I'd like to ask what specific experience each candidate brings in relation to their chosen position. Real world examples would be much appreciated.

Dan asked this in the other thread so I figured I'd go ahead and answer here.

At my previous job and some at my current job I was doing a lot of project managing. This required managing anyone from electricians, architects to engineers on the same job. My biggest acommplishment was managing the electrical construction of the 400 South Jefferson building that is currently the HQ of Hilshire Farms. We had lot's of different challenges on that job and we're able to get it done on time, the project went on to win the "Office Redevelopment of the Year at NAIOP Chicago’s 25th Annual Awards for Excellence."
  • thank you, chow, for taking the time to address everyone's concerns and thoughts! 
  • DFBJeff said:

DFBJeff said:

JEFF: You've served as Vice Chair, and you're someone who is in the public eye quite a bit through your position over the last year on gameday, at events, and online. If elected as Chair, what leadership qualities will you bring, and what will you do in the coming year to help unify the Section? 

Not so much specifically the "unify" part, but I am curious to know what you aim to do in 2014 if elected Chair.

• ricecake said:

DFBJeff said:

DFBJeff said:

Not so much specifically the "unify" part, but I am curious to know what you aim to do in 2014 if elected Chair.

i think we all are. 
  • What do you like on your hot dog?

Probably his mouth, so he can eat it.

Grilled onions, mustard and hot pepper, preferably from Jim's Original.

• Will the other person running for Chair, Jeff M, be answering these questions any time soon? I'd be interested in his response to the questions posted thus far. Thanks.
  • diana said:

Will the other person running for Chair, Jeff M, be answering these questions any time soon? I'd be interested in his response to the questions posted thus far. Thanks.

• Question is for both candidates...

Where is the best place to get pizza in the city?
  • Questions for both Chow & Jeff:

If elected Chair... 

Will you be open to allowing those not on the board to get involved when they offer their services? Will you reach out to people to get involved?

I feel that there are many supporters/fans that are open to helping, but either don't know how/where to help.  In my personal experiences, I volunteered to help with two separate tasks in the last couple of years, it seemed as though communication lacked between me and board member(s) and/or that it was difficult for them to take me up on my offer to volunteer. This was quite discouraging.   <<<<<<< in short

We all know that it takes an extreme amount of work, time, and dedication to be a part of the ISA Board, so how will you allow, encourage, motivate others to help contribute to help the group grow and too alleviate some work from your shoulders so you can attend to other needs of the community? 
  • Who will we try to have cater the anniversary party?  There's only one answer to this.  Luckily only one person has been answering....
  • nikhak said:

Questions for both Chow & Jeff:

If elected Chair... 

Will you be open to allowing those not on the board to get involved when they offer their services? Will you reach out to people to get involved?

I feel that there are many supporters/fans that are open to helping, but either don't know how/where to help.  In my personal experiences, I volunteered to help with two separate tasks in the last couple of years, it seemed as though communication lacked between me and board member(s) and/or that it was difficult for them to take me up on my offer to volunteer. This was quite discouraging.   <<<<<<< in short

We all know that it takes an extreme amount of work, time, and dedication to be a part of the ISA Board, so how will you allow, encourage, motivate others to help contribute to help the group grow and too alleviate some work from your shoulders so you can attend to other needs of the community? 

I think it'd be outright dumb to refuse help. The more people we have to help the stronger we will be. In fact I've already started to look for people to help out if I'm elected chair. Many of these people have been around for a while and are willing to help on an unofficial level. I would love to work with anyone on any capacity as long as they're willing to help.
  • Question is for both candidates...

Where is the best place to get pizza in the city?

Dimo's in Wrigleyville, formerly Ian's.
  • Who will we try to have cater the anniversary party?  There's only one answer to this.  Luckily only one person has been answering....

I think we can't do Greek Islands since Frank is no longer part of the club. :( I'd go with Los Comales since they've been great for us!
  • imagedammit Chow I said there's one answer :-w
  • imagedammit Chow I said there's one answer :-w

That's nice language. 
  • I don't know how that image thing got there.  I'm guessing I bumped the keyboard, or something while I was playing video games.
  • This question is for the BOTH of you.   

Do you know how to play Pokemon cards?   Do you have your own deck?

I have pokemon stadium 2 for n64 if that counts for anything.

I asked the judges. They said it's a little different, but it counts.

I asked the judges. They said it's a little different, but it counts.

I know but I thought it may provoke conversation lol
  • Pokemon snap! For 64 I always found calming.

I used to back in the day. I don't remember what I did with all my cards but I still have some energy cards at my parents house. 

#chowizzard
  • Can I ask questions in here too? Not for myself or the other candidate but for everyone else?

My question is, what do you want to see from the board members that you believe can help improve the way we do things? Thanks! 
  • Teamwork
    Transparency
    Tom Dunmore

Those are my three T's. I'm not being funny about that.

I want a fun, but mature board.  Responsible enough to get things done, but fun enough to get others involved.  
    I want a board where everyone knows who the board members are. Not because of popularity, but because their quality of work stands out.

I want our relationship with the FO to grow.  I know they give us headaches, and we give them just as many, but I don't want that to hinder any growth in the growing relationship we currently have with them.

I don't want supporters to think that board members are holier than they are, but are equal.  That doesn't mean respect shouldn't be given though.

I want the board to be mentors. If someone comes up with a stupid idea I'd like to see them guided into the right direction.  Unless it's really really stupid, or they're a dick about it.

I can go on if you'd like, but this is already pretty long.

• chow said:

Can I ask questions in here too? Not for myself or the other candidate but for everyone else?

My question is, what do you want to see from the board members that you believe can help improve the way we do things? Thanks! 

a little more in the way of nuts-and-bolts. some degree of follow through.
  • I don't want to see any of your nuts, or bolts.
  • Chow, thanks for continuing to answer the questions posed. 

Marinacci, can we expect the same from you soon as well?
  • chow said:

nikhak said:

Questions for both Chow & Jeff:

If elected Chair... 

I think it'd be outright dumb to refuse help. The more people we have to help the stronger we will be. In fact I've already started to look for people to help out if I'm elected chair. Many of these people have been around for a while and are willing to help on an unofficial level. I would love to work with anyone on any capacity as long as they're willing to help.

Thanks, Chow. 

You know I'm always around to help & to help get help. Other board members, I'm here to help. 
    :D
  • In answer to Chow's question, and off the top of my head:

1. Foster - culture and groups
    2. Develop - connections and relationships
    3. Instill - commitment from next gen supporters and other relations
    4. Lead by example - DO the work needed
    5. Take the initiative, but don't put the cart before the horse - present ideas, but only do the work to facilitate, not the actual work--that is up to the community
    6. Respect - yourself, your schedule, and that of others
    7. Demonstrate - take a stand on issues, on field, in stands, in the community as needed to represent our overarching beliefs as a club and as a group of supporters.

Yes, I'm sure in such simple representation (such as above), there are several very nuanced meanings these points could take (maybe not all positive), but if anyone wants to have a discussion related to them, and how I see them, I am around until the end of 2014.
  • What Giaco said.
  • Between the holidays (wonderful silliness with the nieces & nephews), trying to make a few quick bucks (helping a colleague on a project), and working with Anu to get the by-law proposal finalized, I'm a little behind on this thread.

OK ... here we go! Will post & reply to the Q&A later today and the rest of the way!!!!

• (insert a few quick bucks prostitution joke here)
  • Why am I running?

I have loved my two years of service as Vice Chair. I have enjoyed the challenges and have had a hell of a lot of fun! I have learned a great deal about the Board, this community and myself. I have a clear sense of each one's strengths, dreams and challenges, me especially. As a result, I have a clear vision of what I would emphasize in 2014.

I would consider it a great privilege to serve as your Chair in 2014 and lead this Board.

Personal Qualities – I am …

• a servant
    • an honest and fair broker
    • a collaborative partner
      an independent-minded thinker who will always advocate for the best interests of Section 8
    • a role model for serving the community
    • a believer in empowering people
      inclusive – all of us were first-timers, all of us are in this community together
    • a fanatic supporter of Our Club in Our City  first-timers… a fanatic supporter of Our Club in Our City

My Promise

As Chair, I would be just as interested in improving the Board’s basic operations as well as tackling the more strategic issues. Not only would I be candid about what we need to improve, I would actively lead my fellow directors to address problems so we can meet what the community expects, but also to develop the long-term capacity of the Board.

Experience

In that last two years, I have been directly involved the full range of activities of Section 8:
    • critical events like responding to Andrew's editorial or negotiating with SKC staff to avoid the arrest of 4 of our own on the road,
    • special projects like getting Stoitchov and other players to the Anniversary Party, as well as
    • plain ol' operations like Merch, Events and Marketing & Communications.

Using the post office as a metaphor, I have delivered regular mail as well as packages that require special care and handling. As a result, I have a comprehensive understanding of what the ISA delivers, what is does well and needs to improve upon, and what to expect as Chair.

I have effective working relationships with a wide range of people: within our core community, at the Club and across the stadium, with key external partners, as well as others in the wider Chicago “soccer” scene.

I am up to speed on the issues each relationship brings and, where appropriately, have begun to work on the 2014 agenda.

Priorities

1. Developing the Board and Directors' teams

In my day job, I focus on people issues in organizations: culture, leadership, teams, being engaged/committed, etc. I believe that empowering people is the best way to manage a team. I actively develop virtuous circles in which empowered people deliver great things and have fun while doing so.

As Chair, one of my goals would be to develop the Board and the larger team as a unit and as individuals so that it is more resilient, more engaged, more productive - so it can deliver more to this community.

Why this goal? I believe that the key to the ISA reaching the next level is having a healthy working culture among the directors and their team members. In our community, it is frequently stated that one or more directors "disappear" or do not deliver during any given season, 2013 or before. To my ears, such comments point to the symptom, describing what is seen, but fails to address what we should be doing: developing directors and their teams to be successful.

Developing the board members would also be an effective way to address the burnout factor of board members. Too much wisdom is lost when a director simply disappears after her/his term. Momentum of what the ISA can deliver slows when transitions focus only on tasks and not on capacities, lesson learned, etc.

Merrie and I have discussed this. We are both committed to developing the board. This will be a major emphasis not only in February, but throughout the year.
    I will be an active coach to the other directors, ensuring that they are empowered to fulfill their role.

Rather than simply stating it, I will work closely with each director as s/he assembles her/his team, delegates tasks, and directs their team so that more is delivered across the board (pun intended).

2. Strengthen and deepen our ties within the Fire Faithful

I believe that it is time for Section 8 to reach out to the rest of the stadium and ask for their active direct support and participation in our core mission: to support our Club on the field, home & away.

Capped off by the triumphant Anniversary Party, Section 8 has garnered a well-earned reputation over the last few years for more than just organizing game day atmosphere in the Harlem End or on the road. Fans in other parts of the stadium know and respect that we have a vision for this club and our supporters' culture, the capacity to deliver, and the sheer bloody-mindedness to pull it off in a big way.

Already there are many who sit throughout Toyota Park that identify with us.
    My goal would be to work with the Board, Joey and Dalia especially, and other partners to get our message into the stadium - that we are all in this together as fanatics of this club and that the ISA needs their support and participation. As a start, I partnered with Nick Fedora, outgoing communications director, on a video project that would serve as the first component of this awareness campaign that highlights that the stadium regulars, no matter where they sit, are ready to support Section 8 ... if we ask, I am confident many will respond "YES, we stand with Section 8".

More to come ... and answers to the questions above!!!
  • DFBJeff said:

Thanks guys.

@DFBJeff, thanks for the questions...

I have outlined my leadership qualities in my Statement. I hope that you see what qualities I bring and how they shape what I would do as Chair.

As for unifying the Section, I think that by emphasizing that we're a community, that we're all here for the same purpose - to support our Men In Red. In terms of the Board, our role is set the example of inclusion and to get our message out about what Section 8 and The Harlem End are all about, what we value, what we do on game day ... educate everyone about our culture, our scene, etc.

If you want to more convo on those topics or any others, you know what to do ... ask for more ;-)

• From @wb05Guapo...lost the quote box...

These questions go towards both candidates...

@WB05Guapo, thanks for the questions...

S8C strengths this past year:

We took a giant step by working with the club on a couple of key issues: bus program and capo stand. Despite the inevitable ups & downs of new and/or tricky issues, our relationship with the FO is stronger.

What weaknesses can be addressed w/ positive outcomes, give example:

If there's one thing that we can address immediately is our social media. This past year, communications and marketing activities have been pretty bare bones. The most important lesson of that autopsy is to start the
    year off with folks identified to be on the team.

When I taked to both (@TheHarlemEnd) and Dalia Zygas (@
    ChicagoDalia) about working on the Board together, I made it clear that they must have people who are willing to make a lengthy commitment to doing some of the routine work: graphics, web post, get stuff out to twitter and Facebook....that work is not glamorous, but it is VITAL.

If you think about, game day Ops is set up as teams: Eric is in charge, sets the direction, mentors the crew, but there are empowered folks who now
    do Match Crew on their own.

How do you keep supporters from being burned out:

By integrating more people into our community and engaging them about who we are and what we do. As I replied to @DBFJeff above, emphasizing that we are a community starts with each of us, Board members especially.

• For those of us who are voting from afar, could each candidate post a pic of themselves - not an icon. Or direct us to a personal social media page such as Facebook. I'm pretty sure I'm met jjmarinacci but for the life of me I can't picture your face. Chow I've had a few beers with at some point in KC. Thanks in advance. And good luck to both of you. I'm going to have a hard time making a decision.
  • ricecake said:

DFBJeff said:

DFBJeff said:

@ricecake, thanks ... please keep the Qs coming

1. Strengthen the board in terms of its operation and, more importantly, its capacity for the future
    2. Reach out to the rest of the Fire Faithful and explicitly ask them to support and participate in the ISA.

Standard Chicago style of course, with the only (infrequent) addition being Siriacha sauce when more heat is needed.
  • For those of us who are voting from afar, could each candidate post a pic of themselves - not an icon. Or direct us to a personal social media page such as Facebook. I'm pretty sure I'm met jjmarinacci but for the life of me I can't picture your face. Chow I've had a few beers with at some point in KC. Thanks in advance. And good luck to both of you. I'm going to have a hard time making a decision.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!